Construction Starts

8 Years after Clark’s death, the Oddfellows had the land and capital sufficient to erect a meeting hall.  During a meeting on April 30, 1888, the building committee was authorized to let contract to the lowest bidder for the hall’s construction.  Beck and Vogt, a local firm, won the contract with a bid of $9,000.  Stone was delivered to the site on June 1, 1888, and by August 11 the Adrian Daily Times and Expositor reported that the structure had “…the handsomest front in town.”